NEXT SCHOLARSHIP DAY: Tuesday, February 08, 2022
Each year, the UNI Department of Theatre awards over $45,000 in tuition scholarships to its majors, nearly $23,000 to first year students. Awards range between $750 and $2,500. Scholarship Day provides incoming students with an opportunity to meet and interview with Theatre faculty, and to showcase their talents through performance auditions and/or portfolio presentations. Students interested in theatre education may apply with an interview, letters of recommendation, and submissions of written work.
The 2021 Scholarship Day was conducted via Zoom. Our information will be updated closer to February 8, 2022 regarding whether students will interview and audition in person or via Zoom. STUDENTS WILL BE ASKED TO:
- PROVIDE RECORDED AUDITIONS OR SAMPLES OF WORK BY JANUARY 28
- INTERVIEW WITH FACULTY ON FEBRUARY 8
To be eligible for scholarship consideration, a first year student should:
• Plan to be admitted to UNI by April, 2022. (Contact the UNI Admissions Office for information and forms.)
• Intend to declare a Theatre major.
• Hold a "B" average or be in the upper one-third of the class at the time of application. Transfer students with a 3.0 GPA and an established record of participation in theatre activities are also encouraged to apply.
To apply for a UNI Department of Theatre scholarship:
• Complete the on-line application (submit by clicking on link below.)
• Provide a current photo and a resume which includes theatre training and production experience.
• Provide high school transcript containing academic information including GPA, class rank, core units taken and ACT scores.
• Have two letters of recommendation sent by high school or community college teachers or directors stating why you are a good candidate for this scholarship. These must be on school letterhead and signed by the authors.
Actors: Prepare two memorized 2-minute contrasting monologues. Monologues should be one character speaking from a play. Please do not use a prose piece, or anything from film or television. Please include an introduction that identifies the character and the play (for example: Emily from Our Town). Time Limits will be enforced.
Designers/Technicians: Students interested in design and production should provide either a video recording of you presenting samples of your work OR an annotated slide presentation with images by January 25. The time limit for recorded presentations is 4 minutes. Annotated slide presentations should contain between 10 and 25 images.
Students interested in Theatre Education should provide letters of recommendation and submissions of written work. Examples of materials include: lesson plan outlines, workshop outlines, summary descriptions of work supporting youth [younger than high school] in theatre learning environments; production work specific to youth theatre.
Materials are due NO LATER THAN JANUARY 28th, 2022.
Email materials as Word attachments to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Or send to: Scholarship Auditions, Department of Theatre, CAC 257, UNI, Cedar Falls, IA 50614-0371.
All candidates will be contacted by email with a specific audition/interview time.